Thursday 8 July 2010

Stewart hollowbody vintage guitar

guitarz.blogspot.com:
This Stewart-branded semi-hollowbody caught my attention on eBay. The body shape has offset double cutaways like a Strat rather than the more usual 335 shape aped by many semis.

I wish I could tell you more about this guitar, but I do not have a lot of information to go on. Apparently, when Epiphone was acquired by Gibson's parent company, CMI, in 1957, they shifted production from Philadelphia to Kalamazoo, Michigan. Some of the former employees went on to work for a company called United Code who built guitars with brandnames such as Mansfield, Premier, Defender and Stewart. Possibly this is one of the latter.

But if that is the case, why do I think it looks Japanese? I'm sure I've seen those pickups on vintage Japanese guitars before.

One thing I do know is that it almost certainly isn't the same Stewart Guitars who build the Stowaway - a Strat-a-like that can be dismantled to fit inside a standard-sized briefcase.

If anyone has any more info on this beauty or on Stewart Guitars in general, then please let us know via the comments!

G L Wilson

Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 9th year!

9 comments:

  1. contact me markholden6567@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know more about this guitar as well. I'm about to purchase the exact same one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VinTage Aria Diamond Matsumoku

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got one for sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought one for 150

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought one for 150

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought one today from a older fella. Any idea how much its worth?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought one. Anybidea how much its worth?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a Stewart bass last year with the same shape. I also have a commodore hollow body guitar that is a more traditional shape but has the same neck, headstock, inlays, pickups, and tremolo as the one you have. If I'm correct, I believe they were all built in Japan and branded once they got to America. There are many different names that you will find on the headstock. Aria Diamond seems to be the most common.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis