Monday 18 August 2008

Hamer Short-Scale 12-String Bass

Continuing the theme of the last two posts on 12-string guitars, today I would like to draw your attention to this gorgeous Hamer 12-string bass currently up for grabs on eBay. Hamer's Jol Dantzig and Cheap Trick's Tom Petersson were responsible for bringing the 12-string bass to the world, and despite it being a somewhat unusual instrument it does have quite a dedicated following - see www.12stringbass.net for more! This particular 12-string bass is of the short-scale variety. I believe that early on there were concerns about the effects of the string pressure on a long-scale neck, although whatever those concerns were it seems the problem was solved as long-scale 12-string basses have existed for a while now.

I've always fancied having a go on one of these, but I'm not really a bassist so who knows what horrible noises I'd make with such an instrument should I even be able to manage the fingering on those tripled strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis